Thursday, July 03, 2008

Destroyer of Joy

Justin McKeating, who blogs at Chicken Yoghurt, graced me with one of the strangest insults I've ever had, recently. I can't be bothered to trawl his blog for it, but it was something like I am "destroyer of joy" - reminiscent of a Hindu God, perhaps? I must find the exact words and add them to my sidebar.

But credit where it's due - this made me laugh, a post titled "Gordon Brown: Obscurity Knocks":

Picture Gordon Brown getting a job in a supermarket or in a bar.

‘Do you know when you’re getting more tuna in?’

‘This store is working towards fulfilling its demand for tuna in the very near future.’
…or…
‘Pint of lager, please.’

‘While we regret that supplies of lager are currently causing difficulties for the public, we have taken the right long term decisions to secure lager supply in the coming years.’
And:
No wonder he’s clinging to power like an asylum seeker round the legs of a Home Office official on a flight to Zimbabwe. The after-dinner speaking circuit is hardly going to be chanting his name when the Labour Party finally finds its collective cojones and tells him to do one.

4 comments:

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

I assume it was in this post?

http://www.chickyog.net/2008/06/01/that-incisive-right-wing-wit-again/

"1.
Justin on 06.06.2008 at 19:23 Permalink | Reply

A lecture in rhetorical honesty from you, Peter, is like being told by Pete Doherty to lay off the skag."


Found via Goodle using the nifty site search. site:chickyog.net peter joy

Peter Risdon said...

That's the one - the phrase was "joy-sapper", I misremembered it.

Note he was unable to provide any examples of my rhetorical dishonesty, in this exchange in the comments to his rhetorically dishonest post.

Mike aka MonolithTMA said...

Destroyer of Joy sounds sooooo much better! I'd wear it as a badge of honor. ;-)

Peter Risdon said...

"I'd wear it as a badge of honor"

Absolutely.