Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Save XP

Infoworld doesn't like Windows Vista, and has launched a campaign to keep XP available until Vista is itself replaced. It makes a comparison with Windows Millennium, which was so unpopular Microsoft kept Windows 98 going until XP became available.

I'm not suggesting Microsoft are going to collapse, but a comparison with the IBM of the 1980s might be reasonable. They have become sclerotic, unable to keep up with the rest of the computing world, let alone innovate. It took years for them to produce a browser that could even display png graphics properly. Longhorn, the development name for Vista, had feature after feature dropped as they tried to get a release date - any release date, and what they have produced is an operating system that is mildly inconvenient for many users, but brings no real benefits.

Via.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There isn't a day goes by that I don't thank the Lord I was taught on a Mac. I recently had to set up a laptop for someone that was using Vista. It left me quite genuinely depressed afterwards.

Anonymous said...

I just bought my Mum a new PC. It cost me £30.00 extra to get XP rather than Vista. Money well spent.
JonT

Roger Thornhill said...

Buy Longhorn, get bullshit.