Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas

I generally post from an atheist perspective. This post is no exception.

To the Christians I have debated with, thank you for your courtesy when I have challenged some of the ideas that are dearest to you.

To the Christians of the past, thank you for the cathedrals, churches and art that have filled my mind with awe and with silence.

I still hope, before I die, to sit in darkness at matins, in a remote stone cloister, as the monks enter in procession, carrying candles, singing something like this:



And to everyone who reads this blog, have a very Merry Christmas, and the best of all possible worlds in 2009.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And a merry Xmas to you too.

Anonymous said...

Come to think of it, an atheist alternative would be Merry Jesusmas.

Wyrdtimes said...

Happy Yule-tide all round.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. As a catholic I have always had my own doubts but in the end I know I do believe. I just don't believe in the man made modern interpretations of so much of it. I hope you have a great 2008 and wish you all the best.

Take Care

Unknown said...

I don't know about the UK, but there are many monasteries and convents here where you can easily have that experience.

Anonymous said...

A bit late perhaps but I do hope that you had good one.

Best wishes for 2009 to you and to everyone who reads this blog.

Sir P.