Thursday, June 12, 2008

A man of principle

David Davis, the shadow Home Secretary, has resigned from Parliament in protest at the rise in the period a person can be held in custody without charge, from 28 to 42 days. He proposes to fight a by election on this single issue, and I heard a few moments ago on Radio 4 that Conservative Central Office have said he will have to do so without funding from the central party.

I hope he will welcome volunteers from outside the Conservative Party to his campaign. This could turn into an event similar to the Tatton by election of 1997.

I just emailed Mr Davis to thank him for defending my liberty. If you want to do the same, click here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope it isn't only about 42 days; I hope it's about the endless chipping away at our freedom. I hope it's about our centralised NHS health records, about spy cameras on our rubbish bins, about ID cards and about every other bloody Orwellian maneouvre to turn us into a police state. I hope he wins by a huge turn-out, that people carry him shoulder-high into Parliament, and then hunt down the bastards behind all this and give them 42 days detention in the Tower.

Peter Risdon said...

It is, he broadened it out in his resignation speech.

marvin said...

I think he is a man of principle. I also think he wanted out of the Cameron clique. What a an exit!

This is what politics is all about.