I'm glad that a demonstration scheduled for Sept 9th has been granted permission to go ahead in Brussels. From the organisers' website:
The people present on 9/9 have a few questions:That's right, they are lunatics. But everyone, lunatics included, has an absolute right in any functional democracy to protest. That's why I support the right of Brian Haw to protest in front of Parliament, although he also seems to be completely barmy.
- Who was aware of the 9/11 attacks within the EU before they took place?
- Why are all proposals concerning any monetary reform still unanswered?
- Why did all NATO members sign an agreement in October 2001 on the invasion of Afghanistan, without having any proof of a relationship between the attacks and that country?
- Why didn't the European countries, participating in the Coalition Forces of the Nato, ask any further investigations, before agreeing with the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan?
- Why are no answers given to the many questions rising from the 911 investigations from scientists, scholars, governmental responsibles, members of secret services, fireman, survivors, pilots and air traffic responsibles?
However, another demonstration, planned for the 11th September, also in Brussels, has been banned. I have been feeling some misgivings about Stop the Islamicisation of Europe. For one thing, I'm not at all sure what they want to stop. It's all a bit light on specifics. However, the ban puts things in a different light. Interestingly, it has also been the spark that has seen support for the demonstration start to spread, to the political left as well as to the right.
So I'm going to Brussels on Sept 11th. I am going to support the right of this organisation to exercise their freedom of expression.
Some people might have been deterred by the ban. But at least one person will be going because of it.
UPDATE: One of the left wing supporters of the demonstration, Pat Condell, recorded this about the ban: "we're governed by unprincipled, vote-whoring cultural apologists..."
The tagline of Condell's website is:
Hi, I'm Pat Condell.
I don't respect your beliefs
and I don't care if you're offended.