Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Clare comment

Via David T at Harry's Place, a Cambridge don called Arif Ahmed has commented on the Clareification row as follows:

Dear Madam,

The fact that mocking somebody's beliefs is liable to cause him offence is no reason to refrain from it if the beliefs in question are nothing but a tissue of superstition and prejudice. But that is exactly what Islam is. I do not know the guest editor of Clareification. But I hope that he and other Cambridge students are aware that some senior members of this University (including me) regard the satirizinf of religion as commendable; indeed in the present atmosphere I think it is practically obligatory. He has done nothing wrong, and I am ashamed of those of my colleagues who have chosen to condemn his actions.

Best Wishes, etc.


Amen.

No comments: