Tuesday, September 08, 2009

A valuable lesson

On Sunday, between 6:00 and 6:30pm, I stood in Trafalgar Square as part of the Iran Solidarity campaign:



I won't preach about it here, either you're concerned about other people's freedom as well as your own, or you're not. If you are, and can spare half an hour, the organisers are looking for more volunteers. Email Maryam at iransolidaritynow@googlemail.com if you want to have a turn.

The valuable lesson? When I got there the area I was to stand in was crowded. As I unveiled my posters, the crowd melted miraculously away. I think I'll try it at the Notting Hill Carnival next, or when I want some space on the Tube at rush hour.

A few people did stop to chat. One Iranian woman in a headscarf came over to ask what it was all about and when we explained she smiled and thanked us. Iranian democrats say they'd appreciate gestures of solidarity from around the world. This is an opportunity to make one.

Thanks to (UKIP PPC) Magnus for turning up and for being there every Sunday so far.

3 comments:

Ross said...

Interesting to see that the Iran Solidarity campaign actually believe in solidarity with the Iranian people, as opposed to say the Cuba Solidarity Campaign who believe in solidarity with the dictatorship.

alison said...

Extremely cool. Well done. I sat out one evening with some Iranians campaigning opposite Amnesty handing out green solidarity wristbands: http://twitpic.com/hp4ex

alison said...

You should self publish here

http://www.demotix.com/page/about-us