Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Quote of the day

Take it away, Gene of Harry's Place:

Before I read Gulag, I was among those who (like Seymour and his comrades now) was prepared to draw a distinction between Lenin and Trotsky (basically good and right) and Stalin (bad and wrong). After reading Gulag, I couldn’t do that anymore, even if I wanted to. Solzhenitsyn, with his overwhelming accumulation of evidence, had made it impossible. I had to face it: the whole Bolshevik enterprise was rotten at the core, even if it took the reactionary Solzhenitsyn to make me finally understand that.
Seymour is a young SWP blogger who calls himself, "Lenin" - after one of the worst mass-murderers of the century of mass murder.

The non-psychopathic left take him far too seriously.

2 comments:

SnoopyTheGoon said...

Well, this Lenin character has a lot of followers. Unfortunately.

Peter Risdon said...

Does he, though? His political party, the SWP, is a tiny cult - albeit one that is highly skilled at entryism.