Thursday, October 26, 2006

Peter Tatchell

It's very strange to admire someone as much as I admire Peter Tatchell, while disagreeing with almost all of his politics. While we always disagree with every person about some issues, we rarely find individuals with such courage, integrity and consistency.

Of course, I need to declare an interest, to the extent that he supported and spoke at the Rally for Free Expression last March. But his attitude towards Simon Hughes after the disgusting Lib Dem campaign in Bermondsey in the 'eighties was that of a saint.

And anybody who had the balls to attempt a citizen's arrest of Robert Mugabe is a fit subject for anyboby's admiration.

I know you won't like a lot of my politics, Peter. But, as you signed your correspondence to me during the build-up to the Rally:

Solidarity!

No comments: